On March 7th 2012 Apple announced the latest version of the iPad. I'll call it iPad 3 cause it's easier, but Apple calls it the iPad (3rd generation). For the record the name change doesn't bother me at all. You can find a run down of the new features all over the internet. But it boils down to:
- Retina display
- Larger battery and improved graphics processor to support the new screen
- Updated Camera with 1080p video recording.
- LTE / 4G support on AT&T and Verizon
- New software and updated software to take advantage of the new screen.
So... What did I get? I got the 32g Wifi only iPad 3. I'm now wishing I had gotten the Verizon LTE version just so I would have the option of using it. However our iPad 1 had 3G and we used it only once. So for now I'll settle with what I got. Maybe I'll get it in the iPad 4.
Should you get it? If you don't have an iPad then absolutely. If you have a 1st or 2nd gen iPad, then I dunno, really a personal decision. I got it cause I like to mess with the new stuff and just because I wanted it. :)
- The display is amazing
- I haven't played any games yet that really take advantage of the new graphics processor. However, a few of my drawing programs seem laggy when drawing. Not all of them, I think this is simply due to the apps needing to draw more pixels, combined with the apps not being updated / optimized for the new iPad.
- The new camera takes decent pics, gonna do some video to play with the new iMovie, I might post something here.
- iPhoto for the iPad is awesome. Gonna delete some other apps.
The new Apple TV has 1080p support now which you can notice depending on the content you are viewing. The bigger news is the new Apple TV software. It made the 2nd gen. Apple TV seem much faster. And the "App centric" interface changes might hint at more Apple TV Apps coming.
Now back to Draw Something...