What is it?
Basically it's a bike you ride in a laid-back reclining position. They come in many variations. Mine is a trike. Two wheels in the front and one in the back.
You can find thousands of videos on Youtube by searching for Recumbent Trikes.
Why might you want one?
- fitness like any bike
- seat comfort even after long periods of riding
- stable and easy to control
- super fun
Brands and differences
What I decided to get
I did a bunch of research online then bought the best bike I could afford from a local dealer Charlotte Cycles.
I got a TerraTrike Rambler
My rambler has:
- 20" wheels
- Internal n380 NuVinci CVT shifter
- Mechanical disc brakes
It's not the fastest trike you can get, but its fun and easy to ride. I got a basic flag for it and a simple wireless bike computer. I also added a bike rack and a seat bag.
I plan to add some blinking tail lights for safety. I'll likely also change the pedals to clipless.
- I can ride much longer that I could with the standard bicycle.
- I find myself actively looking for opportunities to ride.
- I have had several people stop to ask about it and where I got it.
- I have not had any incidents of people failing to see me when passing me in a car.
- I can see myself buying another trike in the future, something that can go faster and has higher gearing.
- The seat could be more comfortable. I can buy additional padding.
- The starting price for a trike is higher than standard bicycle.
- I'm thinking of buying special shoes for riding.